Saturday, August 13, 2011

Update


It's been 2 months since we moved to NC!

Time has flown, but so far I am enjoying my time here. There are definitely some things about living here that blow my mind.

There are these random 2 ft by 2 ft areas on the beach that are roped off. I found out recently that they are sea turtle nests!



There is a big lake/park about 3/4 of a mile from our house that is my favorite place to go running. Here's one of many signs posted around the park.


Yes, I have seen an alligator. I was on a walk with a friend and we were standing on a bridge over a finger of the lake when we saw a 4 ft alligator just chillin' in the water with the turtles. The other day on the news, I saw part of a story about one alligator who had to be captured after wandering away from the lake.

Julian is settling into the chaos that is intern year. Usually, there are so-so days and ugh days, but he's amazed at how fast the last two months have felt. We're taking that as good news.

I've been keeping busy working at a summer camp. I did a couple days of subbing at a preschool and on that second day they offered me a job that unexpectedly opened up in their summer camp room. So, I was a TA for four weeks with them.

On Wednesday, I will start my new job as a Kindergarten teacher at one of the public elementary schools in town. They have a dual-immersion program, which means that they teach the kids in both Spanish and English. Surprisingly, there are only 2-3 native Spanish speaking students in the program (from what I understand). I'll be teaching the kids reading and writing in Spanish, then trading kids with another teacher to teach them reading and writing in Spanish. I still don't know how I feel about the whole thing, but I'm thankful that I have a job.

1 comment:

brooks1986 said...

thinking of you guys & praying for your safety as Irene approaches...please let us know that you're okay!!