Saturday, May 7, 2011

License

Ask any teacher, getting a teaching license is an exercise in bureaucracy at its finest. (Well, at least in Colorado)

I applied for my North Carolina license about a month ago. Then after starting applications I realized that I had taken the wrong subset of the PRAXIS (think SAT or ACT but for teachers). I took Elementary Education: Content Area while North Carolina wants Elementary Education: Curriculum, Assessment, and Instruction.
Seriously?!

I've been working on getting though a loophole, but today when I checked the website I found out that...(drum roll please) I am now a licensed teacher in NC!

It hurts my Colorado pride a bit to admit this, but NC seems to have a great system set-up over there. In Colorado, it would have taken 3-4 months just to find out that they had received the application, then another month for them to figure out I had taken the wrong test. Oh, CDE I will miss you not.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

ha! I appreciate this post since I got my professional license a month ago when I sent off my info in July. Glad to hear you got better treatment from NC! Good luck in your move!